Trucking Guide: Know Your Drivers and Licenses

Aug 14, 2021 | CDL Careers, Owner Operator, Truck Drivers | 0 comments

Trucking Guide: Know Your Drivers and Licenses

When you’re an aspiring Bartow trucking professional trying to get into the trucking industry, it’s important to know the specifics in terms of the types of CDL Licenses required for the job. 

But what is a CDL? A CDL, or a Commercial Drivers License is required to operate large, heavy, or placarded hazardous material vehicles. There are several types of Commercial Motor Vehicles or CMVs that require drivers to hold a CDL. If Bartow trucking is the career path that you’d want to be in, make sure that you apply for this license before you apply. 

Let’s discuss the different types of CDL for you to know what truck and type of license you’d prefer as you become a truck driver.

Class A CDL

A Class A CDL driver’s license is required to operate any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight of 26,001 or more pounds, provided the towed vehicle is heavier than 10,000 pounds. 

With a Class A endorsement you can operate:

  • Tractor-trailers
  • Truck and Trailer Combinations
  • Tank Vehicles
  • Livestock Carriers
  • Flatbeds

Class B CDL

A Class B CDL is required to operate a single vehicle with a gross combination weight of 26,001 or more pounds, with a towed vehicle that’s heavier than 10,000 pounds, much like the Class A type. 

With a Class B endorsement you can operate:

  • Straight trucks
  • Large passenger buses
  • Box trucks
  • Dump trucks with small trailers
  • Tractor-trailers

Class C CDL

A Class C CDL is required to operate a vehicle that is designed to transport 16 or more occupants (including you, the driver) or transport hazardous materials (HazMat). 

With a Class C endorsement you can operate:

  • Small HazMat Vehicles
  • Passenger Vans
  • Combination Vehicles not covered by classes A or B

Getting a CDL 

Now that you’re familiar with the different License types that a Bartow trucking professional can get, you may now apply for a CDL at your local DMV office, adhering to state rules and policies. 

Here at Trans-Phos, we have skilled Bartow trucking professionals that hold distinguished CDL Licenses which ensure that each haul is professionally carried out with knowledgeable and safe driving drivers.