In the owner-operator role, you are expected to be a qualified and competent commercial vehicle driver. You will be responsible for the maintenance of your vehicle, which includes performing emergency repairs when needed. Owner-operators in a Lakeland trucking company are truck drivers who own their trucks and deliver cargo for client companies. A very important part of this role is to actually communicate effectively with clients, avoid miscommunications, and provide prompt notification of delays or damages. Success as an owner-operator is easily measurable by the efficient delivery of cargo in good condition, as expected by clients.
Owner-Operator Job Requirements
All owner-operators are Lakeland trucking professionals that are expected to acquire a commercial driver’s license (CDL), consisting of written and oral examinations, and on-road driving tests, depending on the state. We wrote about getting a CDL here. Lakeland trucking professionals must also produce negative random drug test results when called for in order to maintain a good record. Committing a felony with a motor vehicle is often grounds to revoke a driver’s CDL. According to the American Association of Owner Operators, one must own and drive at least one of their own rigs in order to be classified as an owner-operator. Owner-operators are paid as business owners rather than employees.
Owner-Operator Responsibilities and Duties
- Plan delivery routes according to scheduled requirements
- Transport cargo to specified and scheduled locations
- Conduct or arrange repairs and maintenance on delivery vehicles and equipment being operated
- Inspect delivery vehicles and equipment to ensure operability
- Perform emergency repairs on the road as needed
- Maintain records of deliveries and maintenance
- Coordinate with clients to prevent miscommunication, misunderstandings, or delays
- Notify clients about damages or unforeseen events
Are you looking for a job opening in the trucking industry?
Well, look no further. Whether you are looking for an owner-operator role or a non-driver position in the Lakeland trucking industry, the best trucking company in Florida (us!) is currently open to hiring new truck stars to join our team! Send us an email. Look at our vacancies here, and don’t hesitate to apply. We are looking forward to meeting you.